Mabel was a woman of science and perhaps it is especially fitting to honor women of science because it is a field that (to some extent) even today people still think is a man’s field. I have to admit that I, myself, do not understand science well, so I’m going to do my best to paraphrase and summarize her scientific achievements, but if you want more of the technical terms, feel free to click on the links, by all means. I didn’t find tons of information on her – she lived a relatively quiet life, but her achievements in science are no small thing to me.
- studied electrical engineering.
- graduated first in her class at MIT.
- worked with the military during WWII.
- was a wife and a mother.
- was the only woman to work on the Boulder and Hoover Dams.
- created missile guidance systems.
- worked on submarines.
- Woman Engineer of the Year
- Achievement Award
- Mabel MacFerran Rockwell – GHN: IEEE Global History Network
- Encyclopedia of world scientists – Google Books